Steve has been teaching now for 24 years and been Deputy Head and Teacher for 17 years. He feels very privileged to be in the teaching profession and still gets the same buzz each and every day! To be in a position where he can do his very best to inspire, instil confidence and help to enable the children to develop themselves both academically and physically and to go on with confidence and hopefully achieve to their full potential is something very special indeed and this is what he strives to do each and every day!
Steve has a motto within his classroom of “Work Hard – Play Hard” and this applies across both the academic and sporting activities and other outdoor and adventurous activities that he provides for the children, both within his class and across the school. He tries to make every child feel special and motivated to work hard to fulfil their full potential both within the classroom and outside of the classroom and develop these positive, confident attitudes which he hopes will stay with them for life.
Steve tries to lead by example and practises what he preaches to the children he teaches as he continually strives to inspire them to be the very best that they can be!
He is continually telling the children that anything is possible and that they should never settle for anything less than their very best as they pursue their dreams.
As a result of this each year Steve embarks upon what has become known throughout the school as “Mr Hill’s Challenges” which he hopes help to inspire the children way beyond the classroom.
These self-funded personal challenges have been the catalyst for his Charity Fundraising which he always involves the children in. Over the last few years Steve’s classes have so far managed to raise well over £90,000 for a variety of Charities. He hopes this helps to inspire the children further and adds an extra dimension to their lives.
These personal Challenges have included:
- Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania.
- Climbing Mont Blanc.
- Trekking 200 miles through the Sahara Desert.
- Climbing Mount Elbrus in Russia, the highest mountain in Europe.
- Completing an expedition through the Arctic wilderness with huskies.
- Trekking through the Jungles of Borneo.
- Climbing Mount Kinabalu.
- Trekking to Mount Everest Base Camp.
- Completing the Tenzing Hillary Mount Everest Marathon.
- Completing the UVU North Pole Marathon.
- Completing the Petra Desert Marathon.
- Completing the Uganda Marathon.
- Completing the Amazon Jungle Ultra Marathon – 230km self-supported race through the Amazon Jungle.
- Completing the Arctic Ice Ultra – 230km self-supported race through the Arctic Wilderness.
- Climbing Mount Toubkal – the Highest Mountain in North Africa.
Over the past few years Steve has been asked to give talks and presentations to a wide range of audiences about his challenges and adventures. In sharing his experiences he tries to show the audience that through self-belief, hard work and determination and never giving up when things get tough, anything is possible.
Steve’s message is – “Dream Big – Aim High and Never Give Up” as he tries and instils an “I Can & I Will” mindset. Steve talks about setting small goals to achieve ultimate dreams and hopefully his talks help to plant a seed of adventure amongst his listeners.